<------ back

Do I Need a Special License to Drive an RV Rental?

Posted on Mar 01, 2022

As a leading provider of Southern California motorhome rentals, the experts at 1st Choice RV have helped clients with all experience levels reap the benefits of the open road. Those that are new to driving motorhomes often have many of the same questions. We love nothing more than informing our guests. We help them feel as comfortable as possible before getting behind the wheel. One thing that our RV rental team in Orange Country hears rather often is people wondering whether they need a special license to drive an RV. While the answer varies from state to state, you can drive most motorhomes without a special license. Read on to learn a little more about the intricacies between RV class types and the potential differences in licensure that accompany them.

Drivers License for Class C RV Rental

The Class C RV rental is our most popular rental option at 1st Choice RV. One reason for this is how comfortable they handle when behind the wheel. Class C motorhomes offer luxurious living quarters in the back while having a cab that appears and drives like a van. The seats, dashboard, and steering column all feel comfortable to those not used to driving larger vehicles, yet the backend is as livable as many Class A RV rentals. Class C motorhomes generally weigh between 10,000 and 12,000 pounds, thus not requiring a special license to drive.

Class B RV Rental License Requirement

Class B RV rentals are also very popular and are best described as luxurious vans. These vehicles are small, fuel-efficient, easy to drive, and still offer a lot of livable comfort in the back. For those renters especially nervous about driving large vehicles, our professionals will often point them to a Class B motorhome. While these vans do not have slide-outs like many other RVs, they still have comfortable beds, a small living area, a kitchen, and a bath. From a driving standpoint, they are no different than a van, and you do not need a special license to drive them.

Special Driver’s License Class A RV Rental

Of all the types of motorhomes, the Class A RV rental is the one that could potentially require a special license to drive. Class A RVs are the largest type of motorhome, often built on a commercial bus or commercial truck chassis. These vehicles have a driving compartment attached to the living quarters in the back, often boast multiple slide-outs, and drive more like a bus than a car. While undeniably the most luxurious of the fleet, the Class A RV rental does take a little bit of practice to get used to. The average weight of these vehicles is between 13,000 and 30,000 lbs. In California, you need a Class B non-commercial license to drive a vehicle weighing over 26,000 lbs.

Book A Motorhome Rental In Orange County with 1st Choice RV!

You can’t go wrong with any type of motorhome rental in Southern California. Each vehicle provides an incredible avenue for escape into the great outdoors. If you have questions about the different RV class types, the size, weight, and handling of each vehicle – or any licensing requirements that accompany them – you can always reach out to the experts at 1st Choice RV. We’re here for you, and thoroughly enjoy turning people on to the open road! Give us a call at (949)-481-3900!


Connect with Us

Back to top